Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Lesson: How can a patriarchal blessing help me?

I was able to teach the YW lesson this Sunday. Our topic was on Patriarchal blessings, which I feel pretty knowledgeable about. I am able to help our stake patriarch by typing up the blessings that he gives. I've been doing this over a year now, almost 2 now that I think about it, so I've read quite a few blessings in my day. 

We started out the lesson listening to this talk by Sister Beck, which I think really tells of the importance of patriarchal blessings and why we need them. Then I printed a copy of this article. Then I cut up each section, rolled up the papers and put them in the box. I had each girl draw a paper, and then she either had to act it out charades style, draw it pictionary style, or do a hangman puzzle of the question or key word in the question. Our girls are either not big into acting, or really like hangman, because that is the only thing they did. That's ok though, we still had fun and learned a lot. 

At the end of the lesson I handed out this quote to each of the girls to remind them that their blessings can be a guiding star for them. 


A Star to Follow


“A patriarchal blessing from an ordained patriarch can give us a star to follow, which is a personal revelation from God to each individual. If we follow this star, we are less likely to stumble and be misled. Our patriarchal blessing will be an anchor to our souls, and if we are worthy, neither death nor the devil can deprive us of the blessings pronounced. They are blessings we can enjoy now and forever.” President James E. Faust, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, “Priesthood Blessings,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 63.
We counted this lesson towards IW #2, and we will sign it off for the girls on Tuesday after our activity, which ties into this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment